Broccoli Rabe and Sausages
Italian rapini recipe
BROCCOLI Rabe AND SAUSAGE MADE WITH turnip greens
In Cilento broccoli rabe and sausage are the dish that in Naples is known as “sasicce e friarielli”. It is one of the typical dishes of the Mediterranean Diet, with an irresistible taste. The aroma of this dish makes you want to eat it right away, even more so if you have homemade bread on hand. Among the recipes of grandma Claudia you will also find the one to prepare an excellent naturally leavened bread.
Broccoli rabe and sausage are traditionally a carnival dish. In ancient times, in fact, this was the period in which the two main ingredients were more readily available: both the turnip green because it is a winter vegetable (of which the Paestum plain still abounds today), and the sausages since in January he killed the pig in all the houses. Today, thanks also to gastronomic globalization, the vruocculi and sausicchia as they are called in Cilento have become a four season dish. The sandwich version, then, was typical of the holidays and is still an excellent street food today.
- 1 kg broccoli rabe (turnip greens)
- 2 sausages
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 chili pepper
- 50 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 2 pinch of salt
Peel and wash the turnip greens (broccoli Rabe)
In a pan, lightly fry the garlic and chilli pepper with 50ml of olive oil
- We recommend cutting them with your hands and taking only the soft part.
- When they cook, they must be very wet, otherwise they will burn.
- If eventually, after the time, they are still hard and dry, add a little more water.
- This dish can also be kept for 3 days in the fridge.
- It can be stored in the freezer for 2 months.
- * Italian turnip greens in Cilento are called “vruoccoli rè rape” (broccoli rabe), not to be confused with black cabbage broccoli.
- Wooden ladle
- Large container
- Pan with lid
- Kitchen tongs or fork