2h 15 min
1h 15 min
Pumpkin custard, accompanied with dry cookies, such as ladyfingers, amaretti, shortcrust pastry or cat’s tongue, is an excellent spoon dessert that can be eaten at any time of the day, especially after lunch or dinner. ideal, however, is in the afternoon, accompanied by a nice cup of tea. The pumpkin custard is used in pastry, especially in autumn, when the yellow pumpkin is harvested, to fill cakes, cream puffs, tiramisu and of course the classic pumpkin pie, a typical United States dessert, made for Thanksgiving and that of halloween. The pumpkin custard is a quick and easy recipe, very similar to the white one, only in this one you have to cook the pumpkin first, flavor it with a mix of spices that in Campania is called “pisto”, easily available in supermarkets otherwise with cinnamon , ginger and nutmeg. I use this pumpkin custard, especially to fill the autumn pie and the pumpkin cake and Greek yogurt, for the recipes, go to the blog.
- 500 ml milk
- 500 g pumpkin (okkaido variety)
- 100g flour 00
- 250g sugar
- 3 whole eggs
- 50 g butter
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 spoon of pisto*
Cut the pumpkin in half, then, with a spoon, clean it of all filaments and seeds and then salt it
Put the two halves in the baking tray covered with parchment paper, with the cut below. Now put in the oven and cook at 180°C (350°F) for 30 minutes in a preheated oven
Pour the pumpkin puree into a saucepan, cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until it reaches a boil, then turn off
In a large bowl or in the glass of the planetary mixer, whip the eggs with the remaining sugar, spices and flour, mixing from bottom to top, making sure that no lumps form
Gradually add the pumpkin puree and mix well
Pour the mixture into a clean saucepan (not the one you cooked the pumpkin), put it on medium-low heat, always turning, especially on the edges and in the center of the pot. Let it thicken until some bubbles come out and turn off
- The Hokkaido variety pumpkin, is the classic pumpkin used at Halloween with small dimensions and orange peel, its characteristic is: a sweet pulp with a low concentration of liquids and a taste reminiscent of chestnuts.
- *Pisto is a mixture of spices used mainly in the areas of Naples, if you do not have it you can replace it with the mix of the following spices: 1 tablespoon of cinnamon, 1 tea spoon of ginger and a tea spoon of nutmeg.
- To cook the cream, do not use the same pot in which you cooked the pumpkin with the milk, otherwise it sticks underneath.
The creams can be kept in the fridge for two days.
- 2 casseroles
- Immersion mix
- Planetary or blender with bowl
- Silicone spatula
- Wooden ladle
- 2 medium bowls
- Drip tray or baking tray
- Parchment Paper