broccoli Rabe with wild boar sausage
Vruocculi e Sausicchia re cignale
BROCCOLI Rabe AND WILD BOAR SAUSAGE
The recipe for broccoli rabe with wild boar sausage such as that of broccoli rabe and sausages are usually called “skewed” broccoli because when they are put in boiling oil, being wet, they crackle. The spicy taste of the chili pepper and the delicacy of the meat make broccoli rabe with wild boar sausage a real delicacy. It is the favorite dish of those who love to drink wine, in fact on this dish “ù vino c’azzecca” particularly. And certainly wine in Cilento is not lacking: throughout the territory – and especially in the areas of Paestum, Agropoli, Castellabate and Palinuro – we find vines of Aglianico, Primitivo, Piedirosso, Fiano, Trebbiano and beyond. Broccoli with wild boar sausage is never lacking in local food and wine tasting.
The fauna of the Cilento Park overflows with a mammal belonging to the Suidae family: The wild boar. It, moving in flocks at times very numerous, goes as far as in inhabited centers and on the coast, often representing a danger for both citizens and agriculture. In order to keep the subspecies under control and to safeguard the safety of the territory and the population, the Park Authority deliberated for hunting two days a week in the months of October, November and December. Thanks to the abundance of wild boar meat, this dish is also very popular in the street food version: the sandwich with broccoli rabe with wild boar sausage.
- 1 kg broccoli rabe (turnip greens)
- 300g half seasoned wild boar sausage
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 chili pepper
- 50 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pinch of salt
- We recommend cutting them with your hands and taking only the soft part.
- When they cook, they must be very wet, otherwise they will burn.
- If eventually, after the time, they are still hard and dry, add a little more water.
- This dish can also be kept for 3 days in the fridge.
- It can be stored in the freezer for 2 months.
- * Italian turnip greens in Cilento are called “vruoccoli rè rape” (broccoli rabe), not to be confused with black cabbage broccoli.
- Wooden ladle
- Large container
- Pan with lid
- Kitchen tongs or fork