Red Mullet livornese – pizzaiola
1h 40 min
Red Mullet alla pizzaiola
Red Mullet Livornese
Red Mullet livornese, is a recipe within everyone’s reach, both economically and in making it, in fact, the price is quite low and to elaborate it does not require a great culinary experience, just simply prepare a tomato sauce with garlic and parsley, place the mullet above and the game is done, also because, being very tasty, these fish do not need many spices or special cooking.
Red Mullet livornese, is an ancient recipe, has its roots in the poor cuisine of the fishermen of Livorno, from which it takes its name. Today it belongs to the classic regional dishes, which Tuscany is proud of. Known and appreciated throughout Italy, this dish owes its popularity above all to the writer and gastronome Pellegrino Artusi who introduced it in his cookbook and in 1891 in his book “Sciences in the kitchen and the art of eating well”, he published the recipe.
Red Mullet livornese is a tasty and nutritious second course, in fact the mullet is a fish not too fat, with firm and highly digestible meat, suitable for various types of diet, especially low calorie and diabetes mellitus, for the elderly and children but, you have to be very careful of the thorns.
- 1 kg big red mullet
- 1 kg cherry tomatoes
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 spoon of chopped fresh parsley
- 50 ml extra virgin olive oil
- j.e. salt and pepper
Scratching from the tail towards the head, with the appropriate tool or with the back of a vegetable knife, scale all the mullets, then gut them and wash them with cold running water.
Put a saucepan with water on a stove over high heat, when it begins to boil, lower the tomatoes and cook for 1 minute, then drain them, let them cool a little, remove the skins and cut the 4 parts.
In a low saucepan, lightly fry the garlic with the oil and a pinch of pepper, then add the parsley, the chopped tomatoes, sprinkle with salt and cook for 15 minutes over medium heat.
Place the mullets in the saucepan without overlapping them, cook for 2 minutes, then, turn them gently so that they do not break, put the lid on and cook for 10 minutes over moderate heat, every now and then shake the saucepan, making it swing like a swing, in this so the mullets do not stick. Turn off and serve after 10 minutes.
- For a successful dish, always buy large and above all very fresh mullet.
- The mullet is characterized by a reddish back but can vary from species to species and is rich in bright colors, ranging from bright red to golden yellow. To recognize its freshness, it must have bright colors, a prominent eye and red gills.
- The mullet is a fish that deteriorates easily, therefore, it must be cooked immediately, if it has just been caught you can freeze it and thaw it before cooking.
- Mullet alla livornese can also be kept for 1 day in the fridge Linguini with lobster is a dish that should be eaten immediately and hot, if desired, it can also be kept for a day but with poor results.
- Low casserole
- Carving machine
- Chopping board